GEORGE TOWN: All hopes of a comatose 14-year-old girl’s family to see her regain consciousness and recover were dashed when she died at the Seberang Jaya Hospital this morning.

The Form Two student, who had attempted suicide after being accused of stealing her teacher’s iPhone recently, died at 3.30am with her parents by her side.

When contacted by the New Straits Times (NST), Malaysian Tamilar Kural president David Marshel said the family is waiting at the hospital’s forensic unit for a post-mortem to be carried out.

“Yes, the girl died naturally at 3.30am today without regaining consciousness.

“This is a very sad day, not only for her family, but for Malaysians who have been praying for her recovery,” he said.

David said the girl’s family is devastated.

The Malaysian Tamilar Kural has been helping the girl’s family seek justice.

It was reported that she had attempted suicide after being accused of stealing her teacher’s iPhone.

The student of a school in Nibong Tebal was apparently summoned by four teachers last Wednesday and quizzed over the disappearance of one of the teachers’ mobile phones.

Despite her repeated denials, one of the teachers reportedly struck the student for failing to own up to the theft.

The teacher and her husband – who is a teacher from another school – allegedly threatened to lodge a police report on the matter.

The girl, however, maintained her innocence and her father, Muniandy, who was told about the case later, was adamant that she did not do it.

Overcome with emotion, the girl later tried to hang herself at home. She was found unconscious but alive by Muniandy, who rushed her to hospital.

The girl had left behind a suicide note, saying “Teacher, I did not take your phone,” written on a torn page from her school exercise book. She also bid goodbye to her parents and grandmother.

Muniandy reported the entire incident to the police last Friday.

On Monday, Muniandy, who has constantly been by his daughter’s bedside, said he thought her condition was improving, as he said he saw tears in her eyes as he was talking to doctors about her condition.

On the same day, Deputy Education Minister Datuk P Kamalanathan, who visited the girl at the Seberang Jaya Hospital, had urged “everybody to continue praying for her recovery”.

“This morning, I visited the girl at the Seberang Jaya Hospital. I also met her father Muniandy, and spoke to him regarding his daughter’s condition and (I offered) any assistance required.

“I also met her doctors and was updated on her status and condition,” he had posted on his Facebook page.

The NST has contacted state police chief Datuk A. Thaiveegan and is awaiting his response on the tragic turn of events.

This content was originally published here.